For one of my projects I had to create a set extension. I had just watched the move The Martian and was inspired by the main character’s lab on Mars.
This was the first render I did to test out global illumination. I really needed to bump back the strength on this. While the inside lighting set up is possible, I don’t feel the images of Mars in the background/outside could create this.
After messing around with the amount of global illumination and substituting it with ambient occlusion, I finally got a render I was happy with. It took a lot of work on my part to get the angle right to match the video. This is the first time I’ve done a set extension like this so it was a learning process!
Here’s a closer look at the set.
And here’s a wireframe of the structure.
Lastly, two images showing the structure of the set.